The Benton Harbor community recognized that its children would benefit from academic support opportunities, recreation, health and life skills education and fine arts provided in a safe place with caring professional adults to mentor, lead and guide them on their developmental path. The Boys & Girls Clubs of Benton Harbor, which was incorporated September 1998, exists to bring hope and opportunity to young people.
The Boys & Girls Clubs of Benton Harbor first opened its doors at the Amory in 1999, then at the Berrien Homes Public Housing in Benton Harbor in 2000. In June 2001 they obtained a lease on the former Bard Elementary School from Benton Harbor Area Schools and relocated to 1200 East Main St., Benton Harbor.
In 2002 the Boys & Girls Clubs of Benton Harbor obtained the use of Benton Harbor Area School’s Charles Gray Teen Center, located at 801 9th Street, Benton Harbor.
After a capital campaign in 2012, Boys & Girls Clubs of Benton Harbor opened two new state-of-the-art buildings to better serve youth and teens. Elementary and middle school children attend the Fettig Youth Campus facility located at 600 Nate Wells Senior Drive, Benton Harbor, MI. High school members attend the Joel E. Smilow Teen Center located at 190 W. Empire Street, Benton Harbor, MI. which opened to members in August of 2012.